Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fun, Inexpensive Things to Do this Summer!

I just thought I'd pass along a few fun but inexpensive activities you might consider participating in over the next couple of weeks if you live in and around Chicago...

The Taste of Chicago will start shortly, but if you've gone to this event before you know that it can be expensive and quite chaotic.... I also hear all the music venues have pretty much been sold out. So here are a few alternatives....

The Filament Theatre Ensemble is pleased to sponsor two free concerts in July: Susan Cowsill on Tuesday, July 9 at 8pm and New Orleans musicians Paul Sanchez, Davis Rogan, and Alex McMurray on Saturday, July 13 at 8pm. All donations collected will go directly to support Filament as they continue to build-out their theater venue in the historic Six Corners / Portage Park neighborhood. This is a theatre group in my neighborhood....and they are awesome! They are providing "free" entertainment to build community awareness and support. Can't beat free. Can't beat great music.

Irish Fest at the Irish American Heritage Center is this Friday thru Sunday. If you buy tickets online it will cost you about $8.00....it'll be almost twice that much at the door. There will be lots of music, activities for children and the Fine Spirits Tasting Tent for those interested in craft beer, mead, and whiskey. (As some of you may know I am aging and blending my own whisky and attempting to become somewhat of a whisky scholar...so I will probably attend the Fine Spirits Tasting Tent purely because of academic reasons!). There are many other activities as well.

You may also see me with a camera in my hand (now there's a surprise!) since I am the photographer for the Irish American News at this event. If you do see me there, please say hi!!

The Northwestern University Summer Chorus concert will be on Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 7:30 p.m. in Alice Millar Chapel. The program includes Gabrieli with brass and organ, selections by Bruckner, Stanford, Rorem, Caldwell and Ivory, and a very challenging piece entitled: "Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine" by Eric Whitacre. 

General Public ticket is $6, Students $4. I will not be a photographer during this event. I will be one of 20 or so tenors. There should be about 90 voices in all. This program is under the direction of Mr. Stephen Alltop, who directs many outstanding choirs including the Apollo Chorus. Do not miss this incredible performance! Great music at a small cost.

Artists of Casa Italia: This is an art exhibition of Italian-American artists from around the world. This show has artists with international reputations, as well as relative new comers.  It will be held in the Chandelier Room of Casa Italia. Opening night is Friday Aug.9 at 7PM and will run until Sunday Aug.18, 2013. You will see incredible works of art that include: painting, drawing, photography, and sculpture. Here is a video from last year. I will be exhibiting some of my photographic art along with my colleagues. Hope to see you there. It is FREE! 
 
One final entertainment idea for the summer is the Chicago Fringe Festival .....August 29th thru Sept 8th
A Fringe Festival can be loosely defined as a performance festival that seeks the un-tried and the weird. It started in 1947 in Edinburgh, Scotland, Fringes now appear across the U.S. and all over the world. There will be about 50 performance groups. Tickets are $10 for each performance, with some package rates available. Performers get 100% of their box office revenue. For up to date info check out the Fringe blog. I am not performing in any of the theatrical groups, but I do plan on being a volunteer photographer. Once again, if you see me, always stop to say hello!

Hope to see you at these many outstanding (and inexpensive) events!

Use your summer well my friend!


Dominick

No comments:

Post a Comment