Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Saint Landelin La Divine

 I have trying to find some bottles that have a replaceable top. I know that there is some lemonade that has bottles like this...but I have been unable to find them. These bottles will then be used for my wife's homemade Arancello.  I like using the zest of Italian blood oranges and a polish grain Alcohol called Spirytus, which is 96% alcohol (192 proof).

Arancello

1 liter of Spirytus

10 medium to large Italian blood oranges
1½ liters of water (6 1/3 cups)
3 lbs of sugar(6 1/2 cups)

Wash the oranges with a vegetable brush & hot water to remove any residue of pesticides or wax. Pat dry. Using a potato peeler, take all the lemon rind off of the lemons. Be very careful to not get any of the white pithe on the peels, or it will make it bitter. Place the rind-peelings in a large container (like a glass sun-tea jar) with theSpirytus . Cover the container and let sit for 7 days. On the 8th day, remove/strain the peels from the alcohol, & discard the peels.


In a large saucepan, make a simple syrup by combining the water & sugar. Let it simmer "fast" for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature & add to the alcohol. Bottle and store in freezer.

Anyway....for the bottles I need with just the right top, I found Saint Landelin La Divine beer. This beer is made in France and comes in a large 24.5 oz dark brown bottle. The beer is OK...the bottle just what I needed.

Will let you know how the Arancello turns out. DM

No comments:

Post a Comment